- 8:30 – 3 pm: The Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center asks you to Commit for Life at today’s Blood Drive in the Navasota High School Library. Donors must be at least 122 lbs and 16-years-old (with parental consent signed in INK). Eat. Drink. Bring ID. Successful donors receive free Commit for Life socks or T-shirt.
- 6:45 pm: The Navasota Theatre Alliance holds Open Auditions for A Tuna Christmas. Besides three males playing more than 20 characters, skilled costumers, set designers and wardrobe/make-up/wig assistance will also be needed. At the Sunny Furman Theatre on Washington Avenue.
- 5:15 pm: This week’s Two Rivers Heritage Foundation’s History Mixer explores the history of one of the oldest African-American Churches in the area, meeting at the Missionary Camp Baptist Church, just a block south of SH 105 on CR 423. Look for Kolkhorst Stone and Landscape.
- 6 pm: The Brule Elementary School PTO meets in the School Library.
- 9 am: Time again to Coffee with the Chamber, exchanging ideas on making Navasota and Grimes County even better places to live and work and play, at the Java Hot Spot, right across from Navasota City Hall.
- 9 am – Noon: Free Child Car Seat Inspections. Make sure the most precious cargo in your car is safe.. Note your child’s weight and height and bring their car seat to Navasota’s 1st Baptist Church for a free inspection. For details, call the Grimes County Agrilife Extension at 936-873-3907
- 9 am – 1 pm: Grimes County’s Veterans Service Officer is in the Conference Room of the Grimes County Navasota Annex, out by the airport, to assist local vets with any problems they may be experiencing. Call 936-873-4490.
- 5:30 – 7 pm: It’s a Back to School Celebration, with NISD Superintendent Dr. Stu Musick at this month’s Navasota Grimes County Chamber of Commerce After Hours Business Mixer at Citizens State Bank, 9109 SH 90 South. Co-hosted by the Navasota Examiner.
- 10 am – 3 pm: Grimes County Crimestoppers present a Top Shot Turkey Shoot, benefiting Grimes County Law Enforcement Officers, in back of the pond at Yankee’s Tavern in Carlos, on FM 244, just north of SH 30. BYOS, 12, 16 or 20 gauge. They supply the ammo, starting at $10 a round. Lunch available. For details, call David Patrick, 713-208-8803.
- 11 am: Believe it or not, it’s already time to Make A Christmas Happen with the kickoff, also at Yankee’s Tavern in Carlos, with barbecue plates, live music, a live auction, a raffle and door prizes galore. For details, call Tammy at 979-777-0313.
- Noon: Feeling a need to release your Inner Artist? Navasota’s Gallery Downtown is offering weekly Painting Classes. Call 936-727-2600.
- 4 pm: The Grammy-Award-winning Asleep at the Wheel opens Blinn College’s Performing Arts Series in the W.W. O’Donnell Performing Arts Center. For tickets, visit blinn.edu/performkingartsseries, or call 979-830-4024.
- 11:30 am: Christ Our Light Catholic Church presents its 33rd Annual Homecoming Bazaar, with barbecue, Krolczyk Sausage and Mexican Dinners, and live and silent auctions, at the Grimes County Fairgrounds (Expo Center.)
- 3 pm: Navasota’s Rockwest Baptist Church, 8046 Allen Farm Road, celebrates its Annual Homecoming Program, featuring guest speaker, the Rev. James Mable, Sr, Pastor of Missionary Camp Baptist Church.
Also . . .
Come share in the Life, Love and Loss of six women in a small Louisiana Parish. It’s Steel Magnolias, on stage now at Navasota’s Sunny Furman Theatre through October 1st. Get tickets while they last at navasotatheatre.org.
Mark your Calendar: The 12th annual Bob Whitten Memorial Golf Tourney, with tons of fun, is Friday, October 13th, out at Pecan Lakes. Call the Chamber for details, 936-825-6600.
And due to flooding in the Plantersville area due to Hurricane Harvey, the 123rd Annual Labor Day Homecoming and Bazaar at St. Mary’s historic Catholic Church has been postponed to Sunday, October 22nd.
Despite the fact that the opening of the BIS Community Clinic in Bedias has been postponed due to effects of Hurricane Harvey, requests for home visits are being accepted until the Clinic’s doors can open. For details, call 936-241-3431 or visit biscommunityclinic.com.
And the Navasota ISD now offers Platinum Passes admitting resident Senior Citizens (65+) into ALL school sporting events, plays, concerts, shows and exhibits FOR FREE! Drop by the High School or NISD Administrative Office between 8 to 3 any weekday to get yours!