Anderson Shiro CISD is making some safety changes in the wake of the tragic shooting in Uvalde last month.
Superintendent Scott Beene presented an outline of additional security implementations for the 2022-2023 school year, outside of just the Guardian Plan, which was established in 2018. One of the biggest of the items is the addition of some mental health assistance.
“We are planning to add one school counselor, either a licensed specialist in school psychology, or licensed professional counselor. They will help student with emotional, social, behavioral concerns, and provide additional assistance and guidance on ways to being successful on the campus,” said Beene in a YouTube video to the district.
He also mentioned the adding of an extra School Resource Officer, more cameras, and some exterior authentication before individuals can get onto a campus.
“We are evaluating the implementation of a video entrance door system. You would hit a button, our office would be notified, we can see who is at the entrance, and we can then unlock the door remotely to let you into the vestibule area, before getting to the final level inside the school,” said Beene.
Mentioned in the letter to parents is that the new implementations might cause delays around the schools to start the year.
ASCISD will continue evaluating into August. The full list of current procedures, and future implementations, are listed.
Anderson-Shiro CISD Safety Measures:
Currently in place:
- One – Full Time School Resource Officer through Grimes County Sherriff’s Office
- Raptor System – to run background checks on visitors to the campus
- ASCISD School “Guardian” Program
- Over 70 video surveillance cameras throughout the district
- ID Badge Scan-in entry at specific locations on both campuses for staff to enter the
Additional Plans to be implemented for the 22-23 school year:
- 1 (One) – Licensed Specialist in School Psychology or Licensed Professional Counselor –
to help students with mental health, behavioral issues, and be a liaison with area mental
health and counseling support systems
- 1 (One) – School Resource Officer to have one officer for each campus
- Additional Cameras to our current system in additional areas of identified need
- Additional layer of access control to exterior door main entrances for Elementary,
Secondary, and Central Office (Installation of a video system where you will have to be
“buzzed in” to enter the vestibule area of the building)
- Exterior door “buzzer” system in the event a door is propped open
- Restructure of Visitor access to student/special programs held at school and during the
- Additional enhancements to interior access for visitors